The Making of a Christian Jedi Knight, A Fully Trained Disciple of Yeshua
The Making of a Christian Jedi Knight,
A Fully Trained Disciple of Yeshua
by Tuese Ahkiong director of ARM: Always Ready Ministries, firstname.lastname@example.org 2011Aug5-6
A general definition of "Disciple" is pupil, learner, student, apprentice, one who is trained according to a particular teaching. The process of becoming a disciple is called discipleship which requires a mentor, teacher, discipler. Within the context of Christianity, a "Christian Disciple" is one who trained according to The Bible to be Yeshua's disciple.
A. A disciple is a learner-OPEN & TEACHABLE
1. Proverbs 9:7-10 "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. 8 Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you. 9 Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning. 10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
2. Luke 6:40 A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.
3. John 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.”
4. Matt 4:19 “Come, follow me,”Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.”
5. Matt 19:27 Peter answered him, "We have left everything to follow you! …
6. Heb 12:10-11 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
7. Phil 3:1 Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you.
8. Phil 3:17 Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.
9. 1Cor11:1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.
10. Heb 13:7, 17 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. *Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.
B. A disciple puts Christ FIRST [LORDSHIP] in all areas of his life, i.e., finances, relationships, entertainment, words, work, education, spouse…
11. Matt 6:19-24 19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 24"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
12. Matt 6:9-10"This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
13. Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
14. Luke 14:26, 27, 33 If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. *And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple... *In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.
15. Col 1:10 And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God…
16. 2 Cor 5:15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
17. John 13:13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am.
18. Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
19. Mark 12:29-30 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'
C. A disciple is committed to a life of HOLINESS and is taking steps to separate from SIN.
20. Lev 19.2 "Speak to the entire assembly of Israel and say to them: 'Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy.
21. Psalm 119:9, 11 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you
22. 1 Peter 1:15-16 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."
23. Titus 2:11-12 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,
24. 1 Timothy 4:7 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.
25. Matt 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
26. Heb 12:14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.
D. A disciple demonstrates a desire to learn and apply THE WORD OF GOD through hearing it preached and taught, reading it frequently, Bible study, Scripture memory, meditation.
27. Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.
28. Rom 12:1-2 1Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
29. Prov 6:20-23 My son, keep your father's commands and do not forsake your mother's teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life,
30. Psalm 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. 3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
31. Psalm 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.8 The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.9 The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the LORD are sure and altogether righteous.10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb.11 By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
32. Acts: 2:42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
33. Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.
34. Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.
35. Deut 6:6-9 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
36. Matt 28:19-20/ Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you…
37. 2 Tim 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
E. A disciple lives in utter dependence and complete reliance upon God through PRAYER. Prayer is personal & corporate (collective, communal, covenantal) intimate communication, fellowship with and worship of God; It is adoration of God; a declaration of dependence upon God. It is acknowledging one’s reliance and trust in God; and is commanded of God, yet the worshipper finds his highest joy, blessing and pleasure in seeking The All-sufficient, ALL-satisfying Lord Almighty. Christians should pray for no other reason than the fact that God is worthy to be sought. Prayer is God’s will for the believer. It is also an act of spiritual warfare; it is being involved in God’s work. PRAYER OUTLINE: 1)Acknowledge Adoration 2) HisWill 3) Confession Strength 4) Thanksgiving Praise Petition Requests Intercession 5)Supplication Protection Holiness 6) God’s Glory
38. Matt 21:13 "It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,' …
39. Acts 2:42 They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
39.a PHIL 4:6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
40. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 pray continually; 18give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
41. James 4:1-4 What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? 2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. 3When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. 4You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.
F. A disciple FELLOWSHIPS regularly with other believers, displaying LOVE & UNITY. When Christians gather in fellowship, there is great strength, healing, growth and protection.
42. Ecc 4:9-12 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
43. Hebrews 3:12-14 See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. 13But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.14We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.
44. Pro 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one man another.
45. 1Thes 5:11Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
46. Psalm 133:1 How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!46.1 Gal 6:1-2
G. A disciple gathers with other believers as THE CHURCH (THE EKKLESIA) regularly to WORSHIP GOD, to have SPIRITUAL NEEDS met, and to make a CONTRIBUTION to the Body. Church and worship are not limited to a building that one goes to. Christians should simply BE The Church 24/7 & live all of life to His glory.
47. Matt 16:18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
48. Act 2:47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
49. Act 9:4 He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him,"Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"
50. Act 20:28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.
51. Rom 12:4 Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
52. 1Cor 3:9For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.
53. 1Cor 3:16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? 17If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.
H. A disciple has a heart for Witnessing/ Evangelism/ Missions/ Disciple-making, gives his Testimony clearly, and presents the GOSPEL Regularly with increasing skill.
54. 2 Tim2:2And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.
55. Acts 5:42Day after day, in the temple courts and from house to house, they never stopped teaching and proclaiming the good news that Jesus is the Christ.
56. Acts 14:21They preached the good news in that city and won a large number of disciples.
57. Romans 1:14-16 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome. 16I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
58. 1Cor 9:16 Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!
59. 2 Cor 2:14-17; 3:1-3 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. 15For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life And who is adequate for these things?17For we are not like many, peddling the word of God, but as from sincerity, but as from God, we speak in Christ in the sight of God. 3:1Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some, letters of commendation to you or from you? 2You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
60. 2Cor 5:11,14 Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men…14 For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
61. 2Cor 5.20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.
62. Colossians 4.5-6 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
63. 2 Tim 4:2 Preach the Word; be prepared in and out of ; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.
64. John 3:3 In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.”
65. 1Cor 12:3Therefore I tell you that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus be cursed," and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.
I. A disciple demonstrates a SERVANT heart by helping others practically.
66. Mark 10:42-45 Jesus called them together and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
67. Acts 6:2-3 So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. 3Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them
J. A disciple GIVES regularly and honors God with his FINANCES. Tithing is NOT for Christians. Christians give
68. Deut 15:10 Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
69. Proverbs 3:9-10 Honor the Lord from your wealth and from the first of all your produce; So your barns will be filled with plenty and your vats will overflow with new wine.
70. 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.9As it is written: "He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever."10Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. 11You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
K. A disciple demonstrates the FRUIT of the SPIRIT by an attractive relationship with CHRIST and his FELLOWMAN.
71. John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
72. 2 Cor 5.17 Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
73. Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
74. Phil 1:20-21; 3:10 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. * I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
75. Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Outline from “A Biblical Profile of a Disciple “ (Cosgrove, Francis M., Essentials of Discipleship, Navpress 1980, p 15-16)
-modifications made by Tuese Ahkiong.