THOUGHTS ON PUBLIC SCHOOL
Tuese Ahkiong email@example.com 6-3-04 These are notes taken from Christian Apologist Greg Bahnsen
Public schools need to resolve the following issues:
Issues need to be resolved in a pluralistic fashion and to the equitable treatment of all taxpayers and all viewpoints.
1) Public Acknowledged Prayer Or Private Prayer In The Public School
How should the public school resolve acknowledge prayer or prayer time? Should there be compulsory prayer? Heads bow? Recited prayer? Should there be compulsory silence or participation? Should there be redemptive or morally expressed prayer? Should there be repetitive prayer?
Are prayers to be given through Christ mediation or are they to be generic prayers? Are prayers to be said in the name of Jesus? Mary? Buddha? Allah? Joseph Smith? Jehovah?
There is NO way to resolve the public school prayer issue in an equitable way to please all views and all tax payers. No prayer in public school does not resolve the issue, because Christians are suppose to pray. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. All we are suppose to do is to be for the glory of God and therefore we must pray.
2) The lifestyle of teachers. Should public schools be permitted to hire homosexuals? free love teachers? teachers who promote teacher and student dating? recreational drug users? Cultists? Occultists? Communist? Should teachers who use foul-language be hired? Hindus? Buddhist?
3) Social Behavior Of Students should there be a dress code? gang clothes? distribution of condoms? should school lunches include pork? Schoolyard disputes? should homosexual couples go to proms? cross-dressers?
4) Curriculum. Origin? Evolution? Homosexuality? Promiscuous Sex? Morals?--whose? Is man basically good? Are humans unique from animals or equal? Can animals be used in experiments?
5) Laws. Are there laws of mathematics? Is there more than matter in the universe? Are there laws of science? Are there laws of morality? Should a student be punished for cheating? Stealing? Lying? Is the universe just random?
Should people be forced to finance what they disagree with?
What’s the way to peace in the public school? The way to peace is the FREE MARKET? Let parents make their own choices and pay for it. The way to peace is for ALL SCHOOLS, ALL SCHOOLS to be PRIVATELY FUNDED.
IT IS LOGICALLY IMPOSIBLE TO SATISFY ALL VIEWS AND ALL TAXPAYERS.
Should your children be raised and molded CONTRARY TO YOUR VALUES AND CONVICTIONS as their parents?
JUSTICE requires that parents be allowed to act according to their conscious when comes to these school issues. Parents should be able to decide whether they want their children to be taught by homosexuals? Evolution? Whether condoms should be part of their children’s education?
Should anyone be obligated to pay for his neighbor’s children’s education? What if it’s according to a Hindu-standard, homosexual, Muslim, Catholic? Why should I be put in a position where I am compelled to subsidize my Muslim neighbor’s kids get educated in Muslim values? Or homosexual values?
Public schools are inherently impossible.
They are Hypocrites and Tyrants. They do NOT get the majority opinion of parents. In fact, public school administrators do not like parents attending school board meetings. The Most Politically Clever Group’s Opinion Usually Gets Their Way. Therefore, public schools finance the wishes of one group out of the wallets of others, and is, essentially a fraud.
There needs to be a gradual phasing out of public schools and phasing in of the new approach.
A.S.A.P. the public schools should ALL BE CLOSED because THERE ARE NO PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
Christian Parents SHOULD therefore
1) LOOK AND PRAY FOR THE CLOSING OF ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS
2) BE CONCERNED WITH THEIR CHILD’S EDUCATION IN EVERY AREA OF LIFE IN A WAY THAT IS PLEASING TO GOD. It is my conviction based on Scripture, that the Lord has appointed to parents the responsibility and final authority to secure, guide and control the education of their children. God requires that parents TRAIN their children concerning this world and in all areas of life think God’s thoughts after Him and walk in all His ways. The Bible teaches that God made man in His image and he was created for God’s glory to study this world, subdue it, and develop it for God’s glory. God did NOT APPOINT THE GOVERNMENT TO EDUCATE CHILDREN.
The CURSE OF SIN has corrupted man’s intellect. Sin has corrupted man to point where he rebels against God and God’s Truth.
The doctrine of Creation says parents should educate their children to glorify God and see His creation in the way He wants. The Fear of the Lord is the Beginning of Knowledge. It’s not the end or after the public education. Col 2.8 Our philosophy is according to Christ and not to the traditions of this world.
Neutrality in education is impossible and immoral.
ONE IS AN ENEMY OF GOD IF ONE SUBJECTS THEIR CHILD TO THE PAGANS. James 4.4
From the beginning of history, it has been a parental duty to give their child an education that is governed by the word of God. Therefore, children should not be trained according to public or neutral standards but according to THE WORD OF GOD.
Deut 6. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind. The first and immediate application of this commandment is: “and therefore these words shall be taught to your children in everything you do.” God is saying if you are faithful to me, if you love me, if you are a covenant keeper with me, when your children rise up, sit down, walk along the way, they will see the world from His perspective.
VOUCHERS (or faith assisted programs)
The government does NOT give anything away for free. One shouldn’t receive money from the government because the Christian does not believe that the government has the right to educate his child. First of all, the money is immorally acquired. One group of people is compelled against their will and values to pay for the education of their neighbor’s kids in a philosophy antithetical to theirs. Second, the state has strings.
On the other hand, Christians may support bills and laws for vouchers but NOT use them. WHY? Because I believe, in the Providence of God, vouchers may be used to destroy the public schools or bring at least some competition and accountability which would be better than the system we now have.
SHOULD CHRISTIANS TEACH IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS in order to evangelize?
Christians teaching in the public schools to evangelize is FALLACIOUS THINKING AND A FAILURE TO APPLYING THE FULL TEACHING OF GOD’S WORD. This is NOT Biblical and not thought out clearly by the Christian. If the Christian were to declare to the public school their intention to evangelize, they can bet they won’t be working long. --I’m not addressing the Christian’s intention. They may be good but they’re not truthful.
from American Vision
1. Matthew 12:30 & Luke 11:23: Jesus said, “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters.”
2. Comment: Are the public schools for Jesus? If not, they are against Him.
3. Hebrews 11:6: “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek Him.”
4. Comment: Per Hebrews 11:6, the government schools cannot please God because they do not believe nor do they teach students to believe that He exists.
5. Romans 14:23b: “Everything that does not come from faith is sin.”
6. Comment: The government schools are not teaching from a position of faith in God.
7. Matthew 10:32-33: “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.”
8. Comment: John 1:3 and Colossians 1:16 declare that Jesus made the world. Government schools refuse to acknowledge this fact. Therefore they are disowned by Christ.
9. Matthew 18:5-6: “And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. But, if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.”
10. Comment: Studies show that 65% to 88% of all churched youth who attend public schools leave the faith by their freshman year in college. There is a direct connection between a godless education and a godless life. There will be a judgment for those who turn children away from Christ.
11. Jeremiah 10:2a: “Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen.”
12. Comment: What part of “Learn not the way of the heathen” do we not understand?
13. Luke 6:39-40: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher.”
14. Comment: A Christian parent must not turn the leading of their child over to a system that is spiritually blind. Education is discipleship and students will become like the teacher. Do you want your children to become like their (often atheist) teachers?
15. Psalm 1:1-2: “Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night.”
16. Comment: Children and their parents are blessed when they avoid the ungodly counsel in the government schools. The same is true for the sinful socialization with sinful classmates and the mocking, scoffing attitudes invariably picked up at school. How can a child meditate day and night on God’s law in a government school? Contrast “blessings and cursings” in Deuteronomy 28, and see which one you want to receive.
17. 2 Corinthians 6:13-18: “I am talking now as I would to my own children. Open your hearts to us! Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can goodness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the Devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbeliever? And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said: ‘I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God and they will be my people. Therefore, come out from them and separate yourselves from them, says the Lord. Don’t touch their filthy things, and I will welcome you. And I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters,’ says the Lord Almighty.”
18. Comment: We are forbidden to partner with unbelievers in the education of our children.
19. Proverbs 9:10: “Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Knowledge of the Holy One results in understanding.”
20. Comment: Government schools lack the fear “of the Lord,” and therefore cannot teach wisdom, knowledge, and understanding.
21. Psalms 34:11: “Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.”
22. Comment: How can are children supposed to learn the fear of the Lord? Parents teach it to them by instruction and example!
23. Colossians 2:8: “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.”
24. Comment: Education must be predicated on the foundation of Christ, not on humanistic thought.
25. Ex. 20:3: “You shall have no other Gods before me.”
26. Comment: Evolution and humanism are substitutes for the true and living God.
27. Ex. 20:12: “Honor your father and mother.”
28. Comment: Government schools dishonor parents (and, by example, teach children to do the same) by claiming the State can nurture children better than the parents.
29. Ex. 20:15: “You shall not steal.”
30. Comment: Government schools take money forcibly from property owners (who often have no children left at home) to pay for other people’s education. This is legal plunder and is immoral. It’s hypocritical that schools expect Johnny not to cheat on a test (taking answers that belong to Billy), while pretending to see nothing wrong with taking money from Billy’s dad (who may be wealthy) to pay for Johnny’s education. Public schools do not operate on a biblical ethic which states that giving is to be voluntary. 2 Corinthians 9:7 says that “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
31. Deuteronomy 6:6-7: “These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
32. Comment: This describes a full-time, 24/7, daily, 365 discipleship paradigm.
33. Proverbs 1:8: “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.”
34. Comment: It is assumed that the father and mother are doing the teaching. No one else is mentioned in scripture as having that role.
35. Ephesians 6:4 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
36. Comment: It is the father’s job to train and instruct his own children.
37. Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is grown, he will not depart from it.”
38. Comment: There is a way a child should go. Parents need to be training the child in that direction, not in the world’s sin-attracted direction.
39. Proverbs 13:20: “He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.”
40. Comment: Children should not be allowed to have foolish companions. Proverbs 22:15 tells us that foolishness is “bound up” in the heart of a child. Ecclesiastes 4:12 states that a “chord of three strands is not easily broken.” It is hard to break a bond of foolishness once friendships are made.
41. Isaiah 54:13: “And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children.”
42. Comment: Children who are taught of the Lord will be peaceful. The converse is also true.
43. Proverbs 16:25: “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.”
44. Comment: This pretty much speaks for itself.
45. James 4:17: “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.”
46. Matthew 7:6b: “Neither cast your pearls before swine lest they trample them under their feet and then turn again and tear you to pieces.”
47. Comment: The swine is the secular humanist foundation of the government schools in combination with those who knowingly deliver it to the innocent. The pearls are your children. Torn to pieces are the children, the parents, the family and the nation.