THE LAST DAYS: WHEN DOES THE BIBLE SAY THE LAST DAYS WERE? by Doug Beaumont
It is often difficult to let go of an often repeated and accepted idea. One such idea that is taught frequently today is that we are "living in the last days". While some acknowledge the fact that the last days began 2,000 years ago, they rarely go beyond that to explain how these "last days" have lasted longer than the "first days"! The End Times cannot be longer than the times which they are ending!
One must ask, "What are the last days the last days OF ?" Many assume they are the last days of earth's history, but is that what the Bible teaches? Have a look below and see what is written concerning these times:
1. Acts 2:16-21 this is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel: ‘And it shall be in the last days,’ God says, ‘That I will pour forth of My Spirit upon all mankind;
It is interesting that this verse in Joel is specifically related to the Day of the Lord, and yet Peter says that the very thing spoken of by Joel was being fulfilled right then - even as he was speaking. He did not say it was some sort of partial or "near-far" fulfillment, but that it was fulfilled. Therefore the last days were happening right then.
2. 1 Timothy 4:1-6 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, . . . men who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods, which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. . . . In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus…
3. 2 Timothy 3:1-14 But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. . . . But you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance, . . . And indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. . . . You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them
Would it make sense for Paul to encourage Timothy to warn the brethren of these things if the coming last times were thousands of years in the future? Notice in the 1 Timothy passage that one of the deceitful doctrines is abstaining from certain foods - is this not exactly what the Judaizers of that time were doing? It is the "turning back" to Judaism that is being warned against here. What danger is there of that today?
4. Hebrews 1:1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son
The Book of Hebrews was written to expound Christ's fulfillment of the Old Covenant and to show how much better the New Covenant was - the Old Covenant was what was ending, not the world.
5. Hebrews 9:26 He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
6. 1 Corinthians 4:5-8 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom, which God predestined before the ages to our glory; - the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory
Note the contrast between the ages - the age to come is the New Covenant Age. The Old Covenant age was passing away See Heb. 12:25-28). (If the Old Covenant age ended, would it not be referred to as the end of the age see Matt. 24:3)?
7. James 5:1 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. Your riches have rotted and your garments have become moth-eaten. Your gold and your silver have rusted; and their rust will be a witness against you and will consume your flesh like fire. It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure!
Were the rich of James’s time storing up treasure for today???
8. 1 Peter 1:20 For He was foreknown before the foundation of the world, but has appeared in these last times
Christ appeared in the first century - not the 21st!
9. 2 Peter 3:3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking,
10. *Jude 18 They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires."
As before with Timothy, why warn of something that had nothing to do with that time or generation?
THE LAST HOUR
11. 1 John 2:17-18 And the world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God abides forever. Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have arisen; from this we know that it is the last hour.
Here we have reference to it being the last HOUR which follows from the fact that John wrote later than the other writers of Scripture). If the last days began with Christ, and the last HOUR was occurring in John's time then how could it STILL be the end time 2,000 years later?
12. Daniel 12:3-13 “And those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever. “But as for you, Daniel, conceal these words and seal up the book until the time; many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase.” . . . As for me, I heard but could not understand; so I said, “My lord, what will be the outcome of these events?” And he said, “Go your way, Daniel, for these words are concealed and sealed up until the end time. . . “But as for you, go your way to the end; then you will enter into rest and rise again for your allotted portion at the end of the age.”
13. Rev. 22:10 And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.
Note the contrast between the angel's words to Daniel and those of the angel to John. Both writings portray the end times. Daniel's were written well before the events themselves and were therefore to be sealed until they began . . . and yet John's writing on the same topic was NOT TO BE SEALED - Why? Because the time was NEAR.
Conclusion: If words and time have any meaning, the "Last Days" are over. With the coming of the judgment upon Israel in 70 A.D. the fate of the Old Covenant was sealed. The Law had passed, the Spirit had come. Israel's time was over - the time of the gentiles had begun. In fact, it is this passing that makes the "last days" for Israel the "first days" for us!] [http://www.souldevice.org/main_menu.html#prophecy] 2