The word, “SOON” as used inNT
By Tuese Ahkiong
Soon is translated as quickly, swift, with speed. It comes fromthe Greek word “tachu.”
theneuter of tachus, "swift, quick," signifies "quickly,"Matt. 5:25; 28:7,8; Mark 9:39, RV (AV, "lightly"); Luke 15:22; John11:29; Rev. 2:16 (ver. 5 in some mss.); 3:11; 11:14; 22:7,12,20. See LIGHTLY.
<2,,5032,tacheion>the comparative degree of No. 1, is translated "quickly" in John13:27; "out(ran)" in John 20:4, RV, lit., "(ran before) morequickly (than Peter);" "shortly" in 1 Tim. 3:14; Heb. 13:23; inHeb. 13:19, "(the) sooner." See SHORTLY.
<3,,5030,tacheos>akin to No. 1, is translated "quickly" in Luke 14:21; 16:6; John11:31, RV; "shortly" in 1 Cor. 4:19; Phil. 2:19,24; 2 Tim 4:9; with asuggestion of rashness in the following, Gal. 1:6, RV, "quickly" (AV,"soon"); 2 Thess. 2:2; and 1 Tim. 5:22, "hastily," (AV, "suddenly").See HASTILY, C.
<4,,1722 5034,en tachei> lit.,"in, or with, swiftness, with speed" (en, "in," and thedative case of tachos, "speed"), is translated "quickly" inActs 12:7; 22:18; "speedily" in Luke 18:8; "shortly" inActs 25:4; Rom. 16:20; 1 Tim. 3:14 in some texts; Rev. 1:1; 22:6. In the lasttwo places, "with speed" is probably the meaning. See SHORTLY,SPEEDILY.
Take a look at how the NT uses the word "soon:"
1. Revelation 1:1 [ Prologue ] The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that mustsoon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,
*How long is soon? Does soon mean more than 2000 years? Remember the book of Revelation was written to the 7 churches in Asia (Rev 1:4) and not to Christians in 2014. What would soon mean to the original audience that the book was addressed to?
2. Revelation 2:16 Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth.
* Yeshua is admonishing the Pergamum church and threatening them with discipline if they do not repent and get their act together.
3. Revelation 3:11 I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.
* Yeshua is encouraging the church in Philadelphia to holdfast
4. Revelation 22:6 And he said to me, “These words are trust worthy and true.And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.”
5. Revelation 22:7 “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of theprophecy of this book.”
6. Revelation 22:12 “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.
7. Revelation 22:20 He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.”Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!
* If Yeshua said to you that He would come back soon,do you think it would be 2000 plus years? How long is soon? If Yeshua wanted the saints to know that He was coming back SOON, what language would He then use?
8. Acts 17:15 Those who conducted Paul brought him as far as Athens, and afterreceiving a command for Silas and Timothy tocome to him as soon as possible, they departed.
*How long is soon; within a relative life span or 2000+ years?
9. Romans 16:20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
*Paul is writing to The Church in Rome and says God will SOON crush Satan under their feet? How long is soon? Romans was written around 57AD. Scripture says Yeshua appeared to destroy the works of the devil and the devil. Did Yeshua fail to SOON crush the devil?
1 John 3:8 …The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
Hebrews2:14 Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to life long slavery.
10. 1 Corinthians 4:19 But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find out not the talk of these arrogant people but their power.
* Is not Paul stating he will cometo the Corinthians within a relative quick, swift time and not 2000+ years?
11. Philippians 2:19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon,so that I too may be cheered by news of you.
*When Paul says he will send Timothysoon to the Philippians, does he mean that Timothy will be sent 2000+ years orrelatively quickly within the lifetime of the Philippians?
The NT is consistent in its use oftachu or soon, and it does not mean 2000+ years. It means quickly, swiftly, with speed. See more examples below how SOON isused in the sense of quickly, swiftly, with speed within the lifespan of thespeaker.
12. Philippians 2:23 I hopetherefore to send him just as soonas I see how it will go with me,
13. 1 Timothy 3:14 I hope to come to you soon,but I am writing these things to you so that,
14. 2 Timothy 4:9 [ Personal Instructions ] Do your best to come to me soon.
15. Hebrews 13:19 I urge you the more earnestly to do this in order that I may be restored to you the sooner.
16. Hebrews 13:23 You should know that our brother Timothy has been released, with whom I shall see you if hecomes soon.
17. 2 Peter 1:14 since I knowthat the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me.
18. 3 John 1:14 I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face.
19. Matthew 24:32 [ The Lesson of the Fig Tree ] “From the fig tree learn its lesson: assoon asits branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer isnear.
20. Mark 9:39 But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me.
21. Mark 13:28 [ The Lesson of the Fig Tree ] “From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soonas its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near.
22. Mark 15:1 [ Jesus Delivered to Pilate ] And as soon as it was morning, the chief priests held a consultation with the elders andscribes and the whole council. And they bound Jesus and led him away and delivered him over to Pilate.
23. Luke 7:11 [ Jesus Raises a Widow's Son ] Soon afterward he went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a great crowdwent with him.
24. Luke 8:1 [ Women Accompanying Jesus ] Soon afterward he went on through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing thegood news of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with him,
25. Luke 21:30 As soon asthey come out in leaf, you see for yourselves and know that the summer is already near.
26. Acts 27:14 But soon a tempestuous wind, called the northeaster, struck down from the land.
27. Revelation 11:14 The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come.
lit.,"with the matter (or business) itself" (para, "with,"chrema, "a business," or "event"), and so,"immediately," Matt. 21:19 (AV, "presently"),20; Luke 1:64;4:39; 5:25; 8:44,47,55; 13:13; 18:43; 19:11; 22:60; Acts 3:7; 5:10; 12:23;13:11; 16:26,33; it is thus used by Luke only, save for the two instances in Matthew. See FORTH WITH. It is also rendered "presently," soon,""straightway."
<2,,2117,euthus>see FORTH WITH.