Saturday, November 21, 2020

Was The Apostle John Martyred or did he die a natural death on Patmos? by Tuese Ahkiong

 Was The Apostle John Martyred or did he die a natural death on Patmos? by Tuese Ahkiong 

Around 33AD, Christ tells Peter in John 21 that he will stretch out his hands in martyrdom. Tradition says that Peter was crucified upside down.


John 21: 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”


1&2 Peter were written around 64-65AD. 

2 Peter 1:13-14 I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, 14 since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me.


**Peter is aware that his time to bring God glory was nearing.


**Isn't the rest of the John 21 passage a bit disturbing regarding the return?


John21:20 Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?” 21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” 22 Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” 23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

**Was Christ saying that John maybe alive by His return? Tradition says that John died on Patmos where he was exiled. 


-Scripture says by Christ's own words that James & John, The Sons of Zebedee, would drink the cup of death like Christ. 


Matthew 20:20-23 Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, and kneeling before him she asked him for something. 21 And he said to her, “What do you want?” She said to him, “Say that these two sons of mine are to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your kingdom.” 22 Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am to drink?” They said to him, “We are able.” 23 He said to them, “You will drink my cup, but to sit at my right hand and at my left is not mine to grant, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

No comments:

Post a Comment