THE SHREWD STEWARD/ MANAGER - Luke 16:1-18
By Tuese Ahkiong
LUKE 16:1-18 NASB
Now He was also saying TO THE DISCIPLES, “There was a rich man who had a manager, and this manager was reported to him as squandering his possessions. 2 And he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an accounting of your management, for you can no longer be manager.’ 3 The manager said to himself, ‘What shall I do, since my master is taking the management away from me? I am not strong enough to dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 I know what I shall do, so that when I am removed from the management PEOPLE WILL WELCOME ME INTO THEIR HOMES.’ 5 And he summoned each one of his master’s debtors, and he began saying to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ 6 And he said, ‘A hundred measures of oil.’ And he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ 7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ And he said, ‘A hundred measures of wheat.’ He said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’
8And his master praised the unrighteous manager because he had acted shrewdly; for THE SONS OF THIS AGE are more shrewd in relation to their own kind than THE SONS OF LIGHT. 9 And I say to YOU, make friends for yourselves by means of the WEALTH OF UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, so that when it fails, THEY WILL RECEIVE YOU into THE ETERNAL DWELLINGS.
10 “He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much. 11 Therefore if YOU have not been faithful in the use of UNRIGHTEOUS WEALTH, who will ENTRUST THE TRUE RICHES to YOU? 12 And if YOU have not been faithful in the use of that which is another’s, who will give YOU that which is your own? 13 No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. YOU cannot serve God and wealth.”
14 Now the PHARISEES, who were LOVERS OF MONEY, were listening to all these things and were scoffing at Him. 15 And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts; FOR THAT WHICH IS HIGHLY ESTEEMED AMONG MEN IS DETESTABLE IN THE SIGHT OF GOD.
16 “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John; since that time THE GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD HAS BEEN PREACHED, and everyone is forcing his way into it. 17 BUT IT IS EASIER FOR HEAVEN AND EARTH TO PASS AWAY than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail.
18 “Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.
16:19-31 THE RICH MAN AND LAZARUS
V1 YESHUA is speaking this parable TO and FOR His disciples (v.1). They are the “YOU” in this passage. Notice that the Pharisees were listening to Yeshua’s parable, too, and scoffed. V14
V4 The shrewd manager gains the favor of his boss’s clients by cutting their bills down.
V8 The master praised the unrighteous manager because he acted shrewdly. The parable stops at the semi-colon (;). Christ then compares “The sons of THIS AGE” with the “Sons of Light.” “The sons of THIS AGE” are the jews. Christ was born under the law (Gal 4:4), the old covenant age or “this age.”
“The sons of Light” are the sons of God, Christians, the new covenant age, the new creation of God who shine God’s glory as the light of the world (see Daniel 12:3, Matthew 5:14,16; Matthew 13:43; John 12:36, Philippians 2:15-16; 1 Thessalonians 5:5). The presence of the sons of God means the promised New Covenant is breaking in and the Old Covenant is going out.
The Jews are more shrewd in relation to their own kind, other Jews than “The sons of Light.”
V9 Christ says to “YOU,” His disciples in the 1st century, to make friends for yourselves by the wealth of unrighteousness. “The wealth of unrighteousness” was the money, riches, covenant position of the Jews. The Jewish Christians sold their land inheritance (Acts 2:43-47, 4:36-37) in Jerusalem was a scandalous act because it was never to be sold permanently (Lev 25:23). They heard the teaching of Yeshua that Jerusalem would be destroyed in that “this generation,” which meant the property values was not going to be very good, to say it lightly (Matt 24:1-34) so they sold. They gave the monies to the Apostles for the needs of the new covenant people of God, The ekklesia.
“So that when it fails” equates to the Jewish money, riches, covenant position failing in its 70 A.D. destruction. The 1st century Christian saints are received into the New Covenant house of God, His eternal dwelling, His heavenly tabernacle, The Body of Christ and by the friends that died before them.
V10 Faithful Stewardship vs. Unfaithful Stewardship. Israel of NT times was unfaithful in her stewardship so much so they murdered their Messiah.
V11 Stewarding UNRIGHTEOUS WEALTH (monies for food that perishes) for physical needs of the saints;
Being ENTRUSTED The True Riches, The Gospel. See Acts 6:1-6 In which 7 men are ENTRUSTED to feed widows. In order to wait on tables they needed to have a good reputation, full of the Spirit and of wisdom.
V12 Christ is speaking to His disciples of faithful stewardship.
V13 Christ states that a servant's allegiance is to one master. The Pharisees allegiance was demonstrated by their love and service to money. The Christian’s allegiance is to Christ.
V14 The Pharisees were lovers of money. They were listening to Yeshua’s conversation and parable to His disciples.
V15 Christ said to the Pharisees basically that they are men pleasers who are concerned more about how they appear before man than God. God knows their darkened hearts loved money.
V16 The Law and the Prophets are The Old Covenant and its promises. They were proclaimed until John. John’s ministry as Elijah proclaimed the coming day of The Lord in judgment upon his hearers in which the Old Covenant would end. The Old Covenant officially ended in 70 A.D. when Christ came in judgment upon it.
The Gospel of the Kingdom has been preached to The Old Covenant world before its end (Matt 24:14). Everyone is forcing his way into because judgment is coming.
V17 It’s easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of the letter of the law to fail. Heaven and earth is The Old Covenant Age and was easier to pass away but the seriousness of God’s Law needed to be fulfilled.
Matthew 5:17-18 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
-Noticed how Yeshua says that truly, until heaven and earth had to pass away first, not the smallest stroke shall pass from the Law, until all s accomplished.
See my article: “We are in new heavens and earth now”
V18 This verse seems to be thrown in here out of context unless one understands what is happening. God ending the heavens and earth old covenant world/age is likened to divorce. God divorced Israel and remarried Israel as an act of His grace. He took her out of the covenant of death and brought into the covenant of life.
See my article: “God is Divorced”
2. Galatians 4:4 But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, bornunder the Law,
3. See my article “The end of the age, the age to come…”
5. Daniel 12:1-7“At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. 2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall AWAKE, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 AND THOSE WHO ARE WISE SHALL SHINE LIKE THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE SKY ABOVE; AND THOSE WHO TURN MANY TO RIGHTEOUSNESS, LIKE THE STARS FOREVER AND EVER. 4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”
5 Then I, Daniel, looked, and behold, two others stood, one on this bank of the stream and one on that bank of the stream. 6 And someone said to the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the stream, “How long shall it be till the end of these wonders?” 7 And I heard the man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the stream; he raised his right hand and his left hand toward heaven and swore by him who lives forever that it would be for a time, times, and half a time, and that WHEN THE SHATTERING OF THE POWER OF THE HOLY PEOPLE COMES TO AN END ALL THESE THINGS WOULD BE FINISHED.
6. ***The Jews were the Holy People of God within the context of Daniel. The resurrection mentioned here takes place when the power of the holy people was shattered. Their covenant with God symbolized by The Temple was the power of the holy people. The destruction of Jerusalem took place in 70 A.D. as Jesus said it would happen within “this generation” 1st century was when that power came to an end.
7. ***Notice how the following passages FULFILL Daniel 12:3 and also identifies Christians as Sons of Light
8. Matthew 5:14-16 “YOU ARE THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15 nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16 In the same way, LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE BEFORE OTHERS, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
9. Matthew 13:43 THEN THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE LIKE THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.
10. John 12:36 While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that YOU MAY BECOME SONS OF LIGHT.” These things Jesus spoke, and He went away and hid Himself from them.
11. Philippians 2:14-18 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, AMONG WHOM YOU SHINE AS LIGHTS IN THE WORLD, 16 HOLDING FAST TO THE WORD OF LIFE, SO THAT IN THE DAY OF CHRIST I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.
12. 1 Thessalonians 5:5 for you are all SONS OF LIGHT AND SONS OF DAY. We are not of night nor of darkness;
14. Acts 2:43-47 Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles. 44 And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; 45 AND THEY BEGAN SELLING THEIR PROPERTY AND POSSESSIONS AND WERE SHARING THEM WITH ALL, AS ANYONE MIGHT HAVE NEED. 46 Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
15. Acts 4:36-37 Now Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means Son of Encouragement), 37 and WHO OWNED A TRACT OF LAND, SOLD IT AND BROUGHT THE MONEY AND LAID IT AT THE APOSTLES’ FEET.
16. Leviticus 25:23 ‘THE LAND, MOREOVER, SHALL NOT BE SOLD PERMANENTLY, for the land is Mine; for you are but aliens and sojourners with Me.
18. John 14:2 IN MY FATHER’S HOUSE ARE MANY DWELLING PLACES; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.
19. Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies THROUGH HIS SPIRIT WHO DWELLS IN YOU.
20. 1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that YOU ARE A TEMPLE OF GOD and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
21. 2 Corinthians 6:16 Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For WE ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE LIVING GOD; just as God said, “I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
22. Ephesians 2:6 and raised us up with Him, and SEATED US WITH HIM IN THE HEAVENLY PLACES in Christ Jesus,
23. Ephesians 2:19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of GOD’S HOUSEHOLD,
24. Ephesians 2:22 in whom YOU ALSO ARE BEING BUILT TOGETHER INTO A DWELLING OF GOD in the Spirit.
25. Hebrews 8:1-2 Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 A MINISTER IN THE SANCTUARY AND IN THE TRUE TABERNACLE, WHICH THE LORD PITCHED, not man.
26. 1 Peter 2:5 YOU ALSO, AS LIVING STONES, ARE BEING BUILT UP AS A SPIRITUAL HOUSE for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
27. Revelation 7:15 For this reason, they are before the throne of God; and they serve Him day and night in His temple; and HE WHO SITS ON THE THRONE WILL SPREAD HIS TABERNACLE OVER THEM.
28. Revelation 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, THE TABERNACLE OF GOD IS AMONG MEN, AND HE WILL DWELL AMONG THEM, and they shall be His people, and GOD HIMSELF WILL BE AMONG THEM,
30. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, WILL NOT PRECEDE THOSE WHO HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 THEN WE WHO ARE ALIVE AND REMAIN WILL BE CAUGHT UP TOGETHER WITH THEM IN THE CLOUDS TO MEET THE LORD IN THE AIR, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.
31. 1 Thessalonians 2:20 For YOU (the Thessalonian Christians) ARE OUR GLORY AND JOY.
33. Acts 6 Now at this time while the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint arose on the part of the Hellenistic Jews against the native Hebrews, because their widows were being overlooked in the daily serving of food. 2 So the twelve summoned the congregation of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to serve tables. 3 THEREFORE, BRETHREN, SELECT FROM AMONG YOU SEVEN MEN OF GOOD REPUTATION, FULL OF THE SPIRIT AND OF WISDOM, WHOM WE MAY PUT IN CHARGE OF THIS TASK. 4 But WE WILL DEVOTE OURSELVES TO PRAYER AND TO THE MINISTRY OF THE WORD.” 5 The statement found approval with the whole congregation; and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch. 6 And these they brought before the apostles; and after praying, they laid their hands on them.
34. Romans 3:2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were ENTRUSTED with the oracles of God.
***The Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God.
35. 1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship ENTRUSTED to me.
36. Galatians 2:7 But on the contrary, seeing that I had been ENTRUSTED with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised
37. 1 Thessalonians 2:4 but just as we have been approved by God to be ENTRUSTED with the gospel, so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who examines our hearts.
38. 1 Timothy 1:11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been ENTRUSTED.
39. 1 Timothy 1:18 This command I ENTRUST to you, Timothy, my son, in accordance with the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you fight the good fight,
40. 1 Timothy 6:20 O Timothy, GUARD what has been ENTRUSTED to you, avoiding worldly and empty chatter and the opposing arguments of what is falsely called “knowledge”—
41. 2 Timothy 1:12 For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to GUARD what I have ENTRUSTED to Him until that day.
42. 2 Timothy 1:14 GUARD, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, THE TREASURE which has been ENTRUSTED to you.
43. 2 Timothy 2:2 The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, ENTRUST these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
44. Titus 1:3 but at the proper time manifested, even His word, in the proclamation with which I was ENTRUSTED according to the commandment of God our Savior,
46. Acts 20:28 Be on GUARD for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
49. John 6:27 Do not work for THE FOOD WHICH PERISHES, but for THE FOOD WHICH ENDURES TO ETERNAL LIFE, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”
52. Malachi 4:5-6New American Standard Bible (NASB)“BEHOLD, I AM GOING TO SEND YOU ELIJAH THE PROPHET BEFORE THE COMING OF THE GREAT AND TERRIBLE DAY OF THE LORD. 6 He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with acurse.”
53. Joel 2:29-31 “Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days. 30 “I will display wonders in the sky and on the earth, Blood, fire and columns of smoke. 31 “The sun will be turned into darkness And the moon into blood
BEFORE THE GREAT AND AWESOME DAY OF THE LORD COMES.
54. Matthew 3:7-12 7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from THE WRATH TO COME? 8 Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance; 9 and do not suppose that you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham for our father’; for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham. 10 The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.11 “As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
55. Matthew 11:14 And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come.