Cessation of Apostles,Prophets,Evangelists,Shepherds,Teachers after The body of Christ was built up, reached maturity and completed by 70AD
As a former Christian School Bible Teacher, the following passage would be sited at my yearly ordination. It was used to proclaim modern day Christian teachers being“gifted” by The Holy Spirit to teach and build up the Body of Christ.
Ephesians 4:11-14 And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, 12 to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God,to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullnessof Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves andcarried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness indeceitful schemes.
In one sense, it is through The Holy Spirit that man moves and breaths and has his being. Today there are many capable skilled believing and non-believingteachers, speakers, preachers… It is good that there are Christian teachers and preachers but this passage does not support these modern day offices. Just think, would the Holy Spirit have tons of His people teaching contradicting doctrine? Is The Holy Spirit, The God of confusion?
In another sense, this is NOT correct because The Body of Christ, The Temple of God, The House of God wasunder construction during the writing of Scripture up until 70A.D. when Goddestroyed the old physical temple and made His home in The New Temple, HisPeople. Remember, Scripture was NOT written TO us in 2014 but FOR us. There were certain specific historic events taking place in the writing of each letter. The audience relevance pertains to whom the letter was written TO and that was peeps like Timothy, Titus, the church in Rome, Galatia, Corinth, Ephesus...
My point is that the offices of apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds, and teachers were for that specific transitional time between covenants and ended at the completion of bringing the church to maturity, completion.
1. Colossians 1:28 Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyonewith all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.
2. Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ Jesus,greets you, always struggling on your behalf in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fullyassured in all the will of God.
3. Hebrews 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers ofdiscernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
4. Hebrews6:1-2 Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on tomaturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and offaith toward God, 2 and of instruction about washings, the laying on of hands,the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.
5. Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he whobegan a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
6. Acts 9:31 So the churchthroughout all Judea and Galilee and Samaria had peace and was being built up. And walking in the fear of theLord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied.
7. 1 Corinthians 14:5 Now I want youall to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies isgreater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so thatthe church may be built up.
8. 1 Corinthians 11:2 For I feel a divine jealousy foryou, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.