Wherever Jesus uses “THIS Generation” it is always without exception the generation to whom He is speaking and not a future one.
Gen. 2:4, "These are the generations," means the "history." 5:1, "The book of the generations," means a family register, or history of Adam. 37:2, "The generations of Jacob" = the history of Jacob and his descendants. 7:1, "In THIS generation" = in THIS age. Ps. 49:19, "The generation of his fathers" = the dwelling of his fathers, i.e., the grave. Ps. 73:15, "The generation of thy children" = the contemporary race. Isa. 53:8, "Who shall declare his generation?" = His manner of life who shall declare? or rather = His race, posterity, shall be so numerous that no one shall be able to declare it.
In Matt. 1:17, the word means a succession or series of persons from the same stock. Matt. 3:7, "Generation of vipers" = brood of vipers. 24:34, "THIS generation" = the persons then living contemporary with Christ. 1 Pet. 2:9, "A chosen generation" = a chosen people.
The Hebrews seem to have reckoned time by the generation. In the time of Abraham a generation was an hundred years, thus: Gen. 15:16, "In the fourth generation" = in four hundred years (comp. verse 13 and Ex. 12:40). In Deut. 1:35 and 2:14 a generation is a period of thirty-eight years.
1. Matthew 11:16 "But to what shall I compare THIS GENERATION? It is like children sitting in the market places, who call out to the other children,
2. Matthew 12:39-45 39But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous GENERATION craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet; 40for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.41"The men of Nineveh will stand up with THIS GENERATION at the judgment, and will condemn it because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. 42"The Queen of the South will rise up with THIS GENERATION at the judgment and will condemn it, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.43"Now when the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and does not find it.44"Then it says, 'I will return to my house from which I came'; and when it comes, it finds it unoccupied, swept, and put in order.45"Then it goes and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. That is the way it will also be with THIS evil GENERATION."
3. Matthew 16:4 " [Matt 12:39; Luke 11:29] An evil and adulterous GENERATION seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah." And He left them and went away.
4. Matthew 17:17 And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted GENERATION, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."
5. 3-36Matthew 23:36 33"You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell? 34"Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city,35so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.36"Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon THIS GENERATION.
6. Matthew 24:34 "Truly I say to you, [Matt 10:23; 16:28; 23:36] THIS GENERATION will not pass away until all these things take place.
7. Mark 8:12 [Mark 7:34] Sighing deeply in His spirit, He said, "Why does THIS GENERATION seek for a sign? Truly I say to you, [Matt 12:39] no sign will be given to THIS GENERATION."
8. Mark 8:38 "For [Matt 10:33; Luke 9:26; Heb 11:16] whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in THIS adulterous and sinful GENERATION, [Matt 8:20] the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when He [Matt 16:27; Mark 13:26; Luke 9:26] comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."
9. Mark 9:19 And He answered them and said, "O unbelieving GENERATION, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him to Me!"
10. Mark 13:30 "Truly I say to you, THIS [Or race] GENERATION will not pass away until all these things take place.
11. Luke 1:50 " [Ps 103:17] AND HIS MERCY IS UPON GENERATION AFTER GENERATIONTOWARD THOSE WHO FEAR HIM.
12. Luke 7:31 "To what then shall I compare the men of THIS GENERATION, and what are they like?
13. Luke 9:41 And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted GENERATION, how long shall I be with you and put up with you? Bring your son here."
14. Luke 11:29-32 29As the crowds were increasing, He began to say, "THIS GENERATION is a wicked GENERATION; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah. 30"For just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to THIS GENERATION. 31"The Queen of the South will rise up with the men of THIS GENERATION at the judgment and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.32"The men of Nineveh will stand up with THIS GENERATION at the judgment and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here.
15. Luke 11:50 ( so that the blood of all the prophets, shed [Matt 25:34] since the foundation of the world, may be charged against THIS GENERATION,
16. Luke 11:51from [Gen 4:8] the blood of Abel to [2 Chr 24:20, 21] the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against THIS GENERATION.'
17. Luke 17:25 " [Matt 16:21; Luke 9:22] But first He must suffer many things and be rejected by THIS GENERATION.
18. Luke 21:32 "Truly I say to you, THIS GENERATION will not pass away until all things take place.
19. Acts 2:40 And with many other words he solemnly [Luke 16:28] testified and kept on exhorting them, saying, "Be saved from THIS [Deut 32:5; Matt 17:17; Phil 2:15] perverse GENERATION!"
20. Acts 8:33" [Is 53:8] IN HUMILIATION HIS JUDGMENT WAS TAKEN AWAY;WHO WILL RELATE HIS GENERATION?FOR HIS LIFE IS REMOVED FROM THE EARTH."
21. Acts 13:36 "For [Acts 2:29] David, after he had served [Acts 13:22; 20:27] the purpose of God in his own GENERATION, [1 Kin 2:10; Acts 8:1] fell asleep, and was laid among his fathers and underwent decay;
22. Philippians 2:15 so that you will prove yourselves to be [Luke 1:6; Phil 3:6] blameless and innocent, [Matt 5:45; Eph 5:1] children of God above reproach in the midst of a [Deut 32:5; Acts 2:40] crooked and perverse GENERATION, among whom you [Matt 5:14-16] appear as lights in the world,
23. Hebrews 3:10 " [Ps 95:10] THEREFORE I WAS ANGRY WITH THIS GENERATION,AND SAID, 'THEY ALWAYS GO ASTRAY IN THEIR HEART,AND THEY DID NOT KNOW MY WAYS';
24. Jude 1:14 It was also about these men that [Gen 5:18, 21-ff] Enoch, in the seventh GENERATION from Adam, prophesied, saying, " [Deut 33:2; Dan 7:10; Matt 16:27; Heb 12:22] Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones,a